I want to thank Gary Doyle for this blog tonight. He shared this with me today and offered to allow me to post it on my blog. I thought he made some very good points, from someone with knowledge that few of us share.
I used to be an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician in the USAF. During that time, in addition to my regular duties, I was tasked to teach about i.e.d.s (improvised explosive devices) plus various scenarios for making, planting, and detonating them with and without booby traps, as well as, how to safely locate, disarm, and dispose of them. I said all that to say this.
The terrorists have already succeeded in part of their plan:
1. They have instilled terror.
2. They have partially crippled our economy by slowing down air travel through this inadequate, costly, and time consuming process of searching people.
3. They have caused us to bunch up in long lines where all that is necessary is for a suicide bomber to get in the middle of the line and blow themselves up inflicting mass causalities without ever getting on a plane.
4. The very expensive x-ray machines emit harmful radiation especially to the operators and are only as good as the operators training and experience is. From what I have seen and read about the overall training of the TSA agents, I would not bet my life on their capabilities.
Let us use some common sense through:
1. Teach the TSA people to criminally profile like El Al Israel Airlines, which requires every passenger to be interviewed by a well-trained agent before check-in. Agents then perform electronic body scans or searches only on those who arouse suspicions during the interview.
El Al is considered the most secure airline in the world, and has experienced only one hijacking in its history. Technology in general can never replace a qualified and well-trained human being.
2. Train pound dogs to sniff out explosives and use them at the airports. You get several benefits from using these dogs, they are very effective at smelling out explosives, you will save a dogs from being euthanized, you will save money, and speed up they process.
3. Handicapped need to be treated in a humane and caring manner by specially trained agents who will have regard for their particular for their situation.
We have given up our 4th Amendment rights in the name of safety and given more power to our government to regulate our lives.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
You have my permission to post this or use it in your blog , all or in part.
Your Servant And Friend in Christ,
P.S. I have, also, received advanced training at Sandia Laboratories on Special (Nuclear) Weapons. You may not use this P.S.